Howard County is routinely named one of the best places to live and raise a family in Maryland. From the pastoral to the urban, there’s truly something for everyone in Howard County. Here are 4 things to know about this exciting area as you plan for your arrival:
Many Towns Call Howard County Home
There are many cities and communities available to potential residents in Howard County. From Ellicott City’s storied, haunted history to the serene villages of Columbia, each city in Howard County has its own dynamic and flavor for residents. Communities in Howard County include:
- Columbia – A planned community with plenty of shopping, dining, and cultural opportunities. The Mall in Columbia and the Merriweather Post Pavilion are popular attractions in Columbia.
- Ellicott City – Home to museums, a log cabin, ghost tours, and the oldest surviving train station in the U.S, Ellicott City is filled with history and unique activities for all ages. There is even a community orchestra.
- Elkridge – Elkridge has many recreational opportunities to enjoy, including Rockburn Branch Park, as well as quality dining and shopping options.
- Fulton – The African Art Museum of Maryland is located in Fulton, a small community with several schools and commercial businesses.
- North Laurel – North Laurel is a small, suburban community that is a short drive from Laurel, MD, with many attractions and activities available to explore.
- Glenelg – Several restaurants, services, and a local high school, Glenelg High, make up this small, charming community.
- West Friendship – Every August, the Howard County Fair is held in West Friendship.
- Woodstock – The trails at the Howard County Conservancy in the suburb of Woodstock are perfect for nature lovers.
- Dayton – If you’re a fan of crab, then this rural community is for you. Floyd’s Crossroads Pub in Dayton is a longtime favorite of crab connoisseurs across Howard County.
- Highland – Family farms and a thriving, rural community give Highland a cozy, small town feel while staying connected to all that Howard County has to offer.
The List of Major Employers in Howard County is Long
Residents of Howard County have many choices for employment opportunities. Some people choose to work in Howard County and surrounding areas, while others commute to Washington, D.C.
Major employers in Howard County include John Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory, Lorien Health Systems, Howard County General Hospital, and Verizon.
Howard County Has One of the Country’s Best School Systems
Forbes Magazine has ranked the Howard County Public School System as the 7th best school system in the country, so you can rest assured that your child is receiving the best education no matter where in Howard County you choose to live.
In fact, according to the U.S Census Bureau, Howard County is also one of the best educated counties in the country, with a nationally ranked library system to boot.
Howard County is Filled with Recreational Opportunities
Howard County residents love any opportunity to get out of the house and explore the natural wonders of the region. With dozens of parks, lakes, golf courses, and trails, outdoor lovers will find much to explore and experience. Sports Illustrated even named Howard County as Maryland’s top sports community. Patapsco Valley State Park is a particular favorite in Howard County, with several recreational areas and even a hiking trail with a waterfall.
Welcome to Howard County
Howard County is a diverse, charming county with beautiful real estate options. Take a look at our current listings in Howard County or contact our team of experienced Realtors today for more information on buying and selling in Maryland.